La Ruta: Stage 2

My stomach started feeling bad a few hours after finishing Stage 1. I thought maybe it was the heat from the race that day. It got progressively worse to the point where I was bolting to the bathroom every 5 minutes. It went on through the night. I tried to hydrate, but could not hold anything in and felt really weak. I also had a fever in the middle of the night.

My alarm went off at 4 AM. I hadn’t slept much. I debated all night whether I should even try to race Stage 2. I decided that I wouldn’t know until I tried. I crawled out of bed, mustered up the energy I had left and got dressed and ready for the day. My intent was to simply just try to ride to finish. I knew I’d have nothing after no calories, sleep, and dehydration.

It was much worse than I imagined. I was very disappointed because Stage 2 had a 9000′ climb (on mostly pavement uphill) to the top of a volcano. I felt very weak and could barely ride in my easiest gear. I was riding near the back. I didn’t care what place I was in, I just wanted to be able to finish. The first 10K took me 3 hours and I was walking my bike uphill on the road. I knew at that rate, I would not be finishing the stage, and if I tried, it would have been catastrophic resulting in a likely hospital visit.

La Ruta from the car
View from the car during La Ruta

It was not an easy choice, but it was the clear choice. I had to pull out of La Ruta. I was too sick. It was frustrating because I know I would have finished 2nd. Getting sick is a risk, particularly when traveling to foreign countries. I had a pretty good record the past couple years, but it was my turn. I saw most of the stage from a car and was able to enjoy the scenery. I felt pretty bad the rest of the day and struggled to eat. I still wanted to ride Stage 3 for the experience.

The great thing about Stage 2 was seeing the determination of riders on all levels.

I have a suspicion that the sickness was from some bacteria on my water bottle from the day before. I had food poisoning type symptoms and it lasted about 24 hours.

I rested up that afternoon, although most of the day was spent in the car. Thanks to Arturo and the wife of a guy in our group (sorry, I cannot remember names right now) for helping me out that day and letting me crawl into your car. I didn’t want to miss the infamously sketchy railroad bridges the next day!

Previous articleLa Ruta Stage 1
Next articleThe Himalayan Stove Project

Related Stories


The Future is Grand: Grand County Summer Bucket List

Nestled in the majestic Rocky Mountains are six charming towns that offer visitors an escape from everyday reality with fresh air and...

We Are Flylow

Check out Flylow Gear's new MTB and Mtn Lifestyle collection at  Use code: CSPFREESHIP20 to get freeshippng on your order.  #ownyourtime

How to Start Racing Enduro

  Feature Photo from the Grand Enduro - Photo by Lightbulb Media   Mountain bike (MTB) enduro seems to be one of those sports where you are...

Re-Leash the Hounds!

That leash of yours is an instrument of environmental conservation. In the face of expanding urban areas, an ever-growing population, and all of the impending...