It’s a brand new year, and the first Trail Mix of 2014 hits right smack dab in the middle of a polar vortex. Now, for some, that might be cause for panic, but with 16 brand new tracks waiting, those in the know do know that our Trail Mix free music download is just the recipe for warming up on a frigid winter day.
Kicking off this January mix is one of my favorite bands. Railroad Earth, a stalwart of the folk/jam scene for over a decade, welcome 2014 with the release of Last Of The Outlaws. Recorded in the band’s native New Jersey, this new record continues Railroad Earth’s tradition of producing evocatively written and instrumentally astounding folk rock.
One of the coolest stories I have heard is that of Leo Welch. Trail Mix is thrilled to have a cut from his new record, Sabougla Voices, featured this month. Leo is a youngish 81 and this is his debut recording. S
From time to time, Trail Mix gets to include tracks from some true heavyweights. Take a listen to new tunes from The Pixies and Los Lonely Boys.
Trail Mix is happy to welcome some first time artists to the mix. Check out new tracks from Iain Matthews, Blackie & The Rodeo Kings, Lone Justice, Sleepy Sun, The Railsplitters, Annie Ford Band, The Blushin’ Roulettes, Mode Moderne, The Sacred Shakers, and Elizabeth & The Catapult. As always, one of the best things about Trail Mix is discovering new artists. All of these bands are tremendous.
This month’s mix also features “50 Miles of Elbow Room,” from Travis Book of The Infamous Stringdusters, which comes off his brand new solo debut, Alice. The mix also has the most aptly titled song for this blustery weather, “Winter Is Coming,” by our good friends from Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, The Steel Wheels.
We hope your new year has started in fantastic fashion and with one simple resolution – share Trail Mix more! Please tell a friend about the mix or one of the many great artists featured this month. Stream and download often. And, of course, get out and purchase a disc or two from one of these great artists.
- Railroad Earth – When the Sun Gets in Your Blood
- Annie Ford Band – Buick 1966
- Blackie & The Rodeo Kings – South
- Elizabeth & The Catapult – Like It Never Happened
- Iain Matthews – Ghost Changes
- Leo Welch – Praise His Name
- Lone Justice – Nothing Can Stop My Loving You
- Los Lonely Boys – Blame It On Love
- Mode Moderne – Baby Bunny
- Sleepy Sun – Galaxy Punk
- The Blushin’ Roulettes – Purple Clouds
- The Pixies – Blue Eyed Hexe
- The Railsplitters – Jackson Town
- The Sacred Shakers – All Day, All Night
- The Steel Wheels – Winters Coming
- Travis Book – 50 Miles of Elbow Room